Saturday, March 2, 2013

Fly Like a Kite


This morning I saw a friend’s status saying: 
"Here's where I've been when I was 5, 10, 15 and 20 years old: London, UK; London, UK; London, UK; New Jersey, US." 
Many people shared the post and traced their own footprint along with it. I thought that was very interesting because I realized that I was in three different countries at those ages. So here goes mine, 
"Qingdao, China; Grimsby, UK; Qingdao, China; New Jersey, US.” 
I’m imagining writing this down twenty years later… Hmm… just made me so excited about my future!

When I look at the first 20 years of my life, I cannot deny that my parents are great influences on me. They provided me with a home where I could feel free and secure, but they weren't afraid of letting me explore new things. They encouraged me to be courageous and curious towards new things, and they would always stand behind me so that I would feel protected when I stepped out. Although they made a lot of sacrifices for me, they have never given up pursuing their dreams. Unlike many Asian parents, making every effort to ensure the success of their children, my parents did not make me feel that I was the center of their life and thus I don’t feel the pressure to impress them with my achievements. I’m so thankful that they didn't stop pursuing their dream for me.

We moved to England when I was ten because my parents were admitted into a school there. Their friends told them that it was important for me to receive a stable education in China, but they trusted me and knew I could handle facing the new environment. I went to the UK with only a few English words. All three of us were students at that time and that encouraged me to learn and adapt to the English speaking environment. After one year, they finished their study and decided to move back. Friends and family said that they were silly. Apparently it was many people’s dream to immigrate to western countries, but it wasn't my parents’. I went back to Qingdao, my home town, and started catching up on coursework. That was the time when my Math and Science knowledge were laid solidly.

I realized that I’m like a kite flying in the sky, and no matter how high I fly they always hold my string tight in their hands. This gives me power to fly even higher in the sky because I have security of knowing they will never let go of my string.


No comments:

Post a Comment