Friday, March 22, 2013

A Wiki Post of Haiwan Bridge

About a month ago, I came across this idea of adding information of my home town Qingdao on Wikipedia. I compared the before and after of that Wikipedia paragraph and you can click here to read it. Today I went back to the Wiki page because I was curious whether the information that I added would still be there,  and there it was!

I decided to make some more changes by adding information about the newly opened over-sea bridge in Qingdao, because it is the new record of the longest bridge over water and I'm very proud about it.

In June 30, 2011, the longest bridge over water opened in Qingdao. The bridge, Haiwan Bridge, is 26.4 miles long and connects Qingdao to an offshore island, Huangdao. It would easily cross the English Channel and is almost three miles longer than the previous record-holder, the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in the American state of Louisiana. Haiwan Bridge is supported by more than 5,000 pillars and costs about 10 billion yuan which is about 1.5 billion dollars. The bridge was designed by the Shandong Gausu Group and the construction lasted for four years. Haiwan Bridge brought much convenience to people by supporting public buses and cutting the commute between the city of Qingdao and the sprawling suburb of Huangdao by 30 minutes. At least 10,000 workers toiled in two teams around the clock to build the bridge, which was constructed from opposite ends. [19]


I was actually surprised that there were no updates about the bridge in Qingdao's Wikipedia page since Wikipedia is known for its fast updates. But I'm glad to be the one to add this information. Wikipedia is a medium for people to get to know something or somewhere. Although it is not creditable for citing it as a reference, it definitely increases your knowledge. So if you want to travel to somewhere, you can wiki it up for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment