Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Breadfruit Tree...


I don’t know if you have ever heard of or read about or even seen a Breadfruit, but I thought it only existed in cartoons because that’s how I first saw a Breadfruit. When I was told by somebody that I was standing under a Breadfruit, I was shocked and amazed. I never thought that it would be real!

A small Breadfruit that I found on the ground

This is me with the Breadfruit tree; I was REALLY excited although it doesn’t look like that.

Breadfruit trees are usually found in coastal Southeast Asia, Pacific islands and many tropical regions. The one I saw was in Hawaii. Because it tastes like freshly baked bread after cooking, it was called Breadfruit. Breadfruits were staple food for people in those regions. The person who told me about this tree said that “if you plant three of these in your back yard, then you and your children even your grandchildren will have enough food to eat.”

Unfortunately I did not have a chance to try one of those because it wasn’t the season, but I will visit Hawaii maybe just for that! Haha… Just kidding…

4 comments:

  1. I have ALWAYS wanted to try one! When I was little I loved to read The Boxcar Children series, and in one of the books they ate breadfruit. Since then I have wanted to try one! You have to go back when they are in season!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember where have I read about it, but I'm sure it's one of those children's books. It caught my attention and I pictured it a shape of bread, and it suprised me that it doesn't look like a bread to me in any way! You are right I have to go back for this!

      Delete
  2. This is really interesting! I've never seen a breadfruit in flesh myself. Fascinating creature indeed.
    I look forward to your future posting about all the wonderful things in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ran! It's just so interesting to learn from the world that we are so used to.

      Delete