Saturday, April 20, 2013

Message from Julie

I was on the highway to New Jersey. My spring break in Virginia Beach was officially ended the moment I stepped into the car. It's never been easy for me to accept the fact that vacation's over. I don't think that's easy for anyone, as no one has said a word since the beginning of the journey. Half of them are asleep on the backseat.

I didn't want to sleep because my friend who was driving would be bored. To entertain myself, since no one had the intention of starting an interesting conversation, I pulled out my cell phone and went on Facebook. A message from Julie. I just accepted her friend request the night before. I was wondering why she would add me on Facebook a year after she graduated from FDU but I accepted her request anyways. Then why would she message me? I don't even know her personally in school. I checked her message and it said,
Have you been to Virginia Beach lately?
How does she know! Isn't she in Germany now? I remember she was very good friends with Pia and she must have heard from her that we were going to Virginia Beach for spring break. Did she come to Virginia Beach to meet her? Then why not ask Pia! Pia was driving another car in front of me. With all the doubts in my mind, I replied,
No, I just left Virginia Beach two hours ago.
It was almost in two seconds she replied,
What a shame. I found your debit card while walking on the beach yesterday. Would you like me to mail it to you? 
Wait... what? I checked my pocket, I had my student ID and State ID. I opened my purse and my wallet was there but not my debit card. I checked her profile again and realized that she's not the Julie from school. She really looked like her on her profile picture. By this time, my friends in the back seat who were sleeping had woken up by my "What? Wait... Really!" Before I know what to reply, another message from Julie arrived,
I was trying to save you some trouble by giving it back to you. I have no intention of using it.
I was moved by her honesty. I thanked her and told her that it would be easier to just cancel this card. She offered to cut the card and dispose of it properly for me. What's more beautiful than an honest soul I asked myself. After a few minutes, she posted a picture of my card having been cut into tiny pieces on my timeline.

I showed Pia this picture when we stopped for lunch and I gave her credit for everything because she knew Julie from school and that's why I accepted her friend request. After telling her the whole story, she said,
What a great way to know someone! 
I wasn't upset for losing my card, instead I was excited for knowing someone who would go out of their way and do such good deed for a stranger.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment